Sunday, February 28, 2010

Catch Up Time

Whew! It's been awhile since I updated my blog.

I went back to work on Monday, February 15. Woo hoo! It was exhausting to sit for 8 hours and read my email. Don picked me up at work and we went to his house to await the oxygen tank arrival.

The portable oxygen unit I had lasted about 8 hours, obviously not long enough for 8 hours of work, 30 minutes of lunch, and about a 90 minute daily commute. So I did a little research on the Internet and found the Helios Marathon. It is the BIG brother to the Helios unit I had. So I just called the medical supply place to see if I could swap out for the larger unit. Little did I know that my five day journey for the Marathon portable oxygen unit.

I called the Lindon branch. No clue about it, and "No, we don't have one." I called the Salt Lake store and "No, that isn't available." So I thought compromise and made arrangements to have a small liquid oxygen tank delivered to work. Uh oh. I work for a large multinational corporation and talked to HR about the tank. "We have to go through corporate, yada yada yada." Fine.

So Don, being the good friend he is, offered his house, which is very kind. I could run up to his house on my lunch and fill the unit. OK. So then I called to see what time and when the refill tank would be delivered. "We don't have that order. What did you want again?" So on Saturday, someone in SLC finally found the order and said it would be delivered on Monday. No time frame though. Sigh.

So I called Monday morning from work. They didn't know what I was talking about. Great. First day back at work and I get to leave after 6 hours to fill my oxygen. Grrr. Then they found the order and said the delivery would be after 4 pm. !!! So I let Don know

Fast forward to Don's house at about 6 pm. I'm getting a little antsy and then the phone rang. It was Cuso the delivery guy. "Now, what did you order? I have an order here for a refill unit and the top fill." The top fill is the portable unit. That's NOT what I wanted. So we talked for awhile about it and he said "Why don't you try the Marathon unit?"

Me: "I thought we didn't stock them." Cuso: "We do, let me see if I have one." He did!!! So he came over and we swapped units and he cancelled the other order, etc. Woo hoo! So sad the delivery driver knows more about the inventory than the offices do.

I really like the Marathon unit. 20 hours of oxygen when it is set on demand. On demand delivers a puff of oxygen every time I inhale. Coolness. And I don't have to worry about running out of oxygen when I am out and about. It does make a little puffing noise, but doesn't bother me.

I also have made many friends with my liquid oxygen unit. I've given little demonstrations and referred many people to the company. They should give me a commission. LOL.

The only problem is that it doesn't come with a carrying case. I carried it by the handle for 2 weeks, which was just not very convenient. So I searched the Internet for a carrying case for the Helios Marathon unit.

Everything I found cost over $65.00. Waaaaaay too much money. So I went searching for something at Target. It took 45 minutes, but I found a canvas bag that closes at the top and I can sling it over my shoulder. It looks kind of like a fashion accessory, not medical equipment (until you see the cannula stuck up my nose.)

So I am a happy camper. Time for bed.

No comments: